Thursday, April 18, 2013

Vegetarian Scotch Egg, Deconstructed

...For me, deconstructed usually means whatever I was trying to make fell apart. The lesson here? When your food falls apart, never fear! Just tell people the dish is deconstructed. They'll think you did it on purpose. ;)
The mashed potatoes used to make this are seasoned the same way I season turkey sausage.

4 hard or soft boiled eggs
2 cups mashed potatoes
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Oil for frying
Soy sauce (for garnish)




To make the faux-sausage, combine ingredients 2-7.
I had every intention of coating the eggs in the mashed potatoes, then rolling in breadcrumbs and deep-frying. They came together okay but the bread crumb coating came off during frying. So, I salvaged the fried bits with a small strainer and removed the mashed potato from the egg. I piped the potato onto the plate, sliced the egg, and garnished with the fried bits and some soy sauce.
To quote my mother, "Mmmm...Fried crunchy bits!".
The result tastes amazing, just like a Scotch egg! So, feel free to do with this blog what you will. You can make this with meat instead, you can try to find a way to keep the coating on, or you can do what I did and just take the whole thing apart!

No comments:

Post a Comment