Monday, April 21, 2014

3 Sweet Ways to Celebrate and Share

Hello all! After an all-too-long Winter, it has already been a busy Spring. When people I love have a reason to celebrate, I love to bake up something sweet! Here are 3 easy ways to spread the love:
Special Request Chocolate Cake
This recipe for Devil's Food cake comes from my trusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I bring one to nearly every family holiday celebration, by request, including this past Easter. It melted in the trunk during church, but it was still good! I will never use another basic chocolate cake recipe. Top with your favorite frosting.
BHG Devil's Food Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
Preheat oven to 350.
In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. Stir in all wet ingredients except eggs. Beat on high for 2 minutes, add eggs, beat for 2 more minutes. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

A Big Ol' Cookie
When my husband hit his halfway point in school, I wanted to do something special. I thought a cake would be a bit much for just the two of us, so I went with a big chocolate chip cookie instead. Follow the link below for the foolproof recipe I used. You can add chocolate chips, candy, nuts, anything you like. I added chopped truffles! Decorate with your favorite icing.
http://m.instructables.com/id/Turn-Your-Normal-Cookie-Recipe-into-a-Giant-Cookie/

Sugar Free Boston Cream Pie
If you are looking for a scratch recipe, this is not it! If you are looking for a diabetic-friendly cake that even the pickiest eater will devour, follow these steps:
For the cake, use Pillsbury sugar-free yellow cake mix.
For the filling, stir 1 packet of sugar-free vanilla pudding mix into 2 cups of whipping cream. Beat on medium until it gets really, really thick. Trust me. And no, this is not a low-calorie food. ;)
For the topping, melt Pillsbury sugar-free chocolate fudge frosting in the microwave until it's slightly runny. Pour over top and let it fall where it may; this creates the ganache look.
I made this for my pastor's birthday; everyone gobbled it up, even people who "don't like sugar free".

No comments:

Post a Comment