Friday, June 22, 2012

Homemade Mayonnaise

Still lots o' lunchmeat! I love a simple chicken or turkey sandwich with some mayo. Problem is, I'm picky about my mayo, if it's from a store it's gotta be Hellman's. Hubby gets store brand, and while I almost never snub store brand, I can't do the mayonnaise. No more! Making your own delicious mayonnaise is easy and tastes amazing. It will keep in the fridge for one week.

1 tsp mustard*
2 Tbsp vinegar*
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 cups oil*

*You can use white vinegar and vegetable oil to stay on the cheap, or have fun with olive oil, canola oil, tarragon vinegar, apple cider vinegar, brown mustard, dijon mustard, etc... I used white vinegar, dijon mustard,  and olive oil.





Combine the mustard, vinegar, salt, and eggs in a mixing bowl. For the mixing, an electric hand mixer is best, but you can also use a food processor or a wisk if you work quickly. While mixing constantly, drizzle the oil in very, very slowly. If you're unsure, check out a Youtube video on homemade mayo, there are several. With patience and a steady hand, voila! Try mixing with minced jalapenos or chipotle sauce just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment